Ever want to sync Firefox bookmarks, and browsing history between your office PC & Home PC, then Firefox Sync is the answer. Firefox Sync (formerly Labs/Weave) gives you secure access to your bookmarks, open tabs, and browsing history from any computer, as well as mobile Firefox and Firefox Home for iPhone.
With Firefox Sync you can access your history, passwords, bookmarks and even open tabs across all your devices.
Firefox Sync is available for Firefox 3.5 and 3.6. If you are using Firefox 4 Beta, Sync is a feature and you don’t need to download the Add-on.
Install and set up a Firefox Sync
- Go to the Mozilla Add-ons Firefox Sync page, and click Add to Firefox.
- When you have finished installing Firefox Sync, click Restart Firefox. Firefox will restart with the Add-ons window open.
- In the Add-ons window, click Preferences to open the Sync panel.
- Click Set Up Firefox Sync
- Click I’ve never used Sync before.
- Create a secret phrase, then click Next.
- Choose what information to sync. By default, Firefox Sync will sync everything. For Advanced Users, if you really want to customize your settings, you can Click on Sync Everything and set it to Use my custom settings to pick which items to sync, then click Next.
- Enter text from the image, then click Next.
- You will see a Setup Complete! message. Click Finish to close the setup window and take you back to the Sync panel.
- You do not need to do anything else. Firefox Sync will automatically sync your data in the background from here on. Note: The sync should happen very quickly but may take up to 24 hours.
- Make sure the initial sync has completed before you use Firefox Sync on another device. To see if the initial sync is complete, mouse over the Firefox Sync icon in the bottom right corner of the Firefox window. A tool tip should appear with a Last Update time. If there isn’t a time listed or the time is a while ago, the Firefox Sync servers will not have your most recent data.
Installing Firefox Sync on another computer for sync
- See steps 1-3 above.
- In the Sync panel, click Set Up Firefox Sync.
- Click I’m already using Sync on another computer.
- Enter your Firefox Sync username and password, then click Next.
- Enter your secret passphrase, then click Next.
- You will be asked to choose what to do with the data.
- Merge this computer’s data with your Sync data– this option combines the Firefox settings stored on the server with those on this computer.
- Replace all data on this computer with your Firefox Sync data– this option allows you to restore your Firefox data from the server copy. Great for when you are setting up a brand new computer, for example.
- Replace all other devices with your local data– this option will erase the settings on all of your other copies of Firefox and replace them with the ones from this computer.